8 week closed eyes wobbly on feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Austrachick, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Austrachick

Austrachick In the Brooder

Oct 24, 2016
    Qld Australia
    I have one of my young chicks Tango hatched Christmas eve. I found him in his coop covered in ants. I washed him off and started treatment for coccidiosis but I am not sure if it right or not. He will drink water but wont eat and wont open his eyes.
    Tango is breathing better but still wobbly and refuses to open eyes. Could the ants have damaged his eyes?

Attached Files:

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It's possible the ants couldve attacked his eyes. Do you know if the ants had stingers and perhaps injected venom? I'd suspect his eyes would be swollen if he were stung but I dont think this is the case.
    Flush his eyes with saline solution as necessary and try to see if there are any telltale stingers or debris in his eyes.
    It would be best to add vitamins in his water to help build up his strength and immune system. You can mix the treated water in his feed to make a mash and put it in a deep bowl. Then dip his beak in the bowl so he can attempt to eat on his own. If he doesnt eat it on his own, you'll have to tube feed him.

Saaniya likes this.
  3. Austrachick

Austrachick In the Brooder

Oct 24, 2016
    Qld Australia
    He is doing better. We have been eating on our own but seems to make a extra big mess. He does open his eyes a little but they are still sore. They were small black garden ants so no stingers. I have given him some multi vitamins and cocci mix (oregano oil, applecider vinegar, garlic, green tea and cinnamon oil) just in case. Got to love home remidies.

Saaniya likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: