8-week Easter Egger "pullet" - is it actually? *Updated 10-week pics pg 3 - Boy or girl?*

Pics

wordgirl

One of the Shire-folk
12 Years
Apr 14, 2009
I got 3 Easter Eggers in the mail this spring, sexed as pullets. But one of them I'm not sure about. I'm really hoping it's a pullet, especially as I already have one other "pullet" that's ended up a cockerel in my bunch. I really can't tell whether it's a boy or a girl - its comb and (nonexistent) wattles say girl to me, but that tail is getting me worried. Although she hasn't held it up that much in the past, when I got her out this morning to take pictures it was really standing up, too.
th.gif
Pleasepleaseplease tell me there's still hope!

Last edited:
wee.gif

Yay! I do hope you all are right! I'm feeling much better now!

I say cockerel. At 8 weeks, she shows lots of red in that comb. No way that's a pullet, IMO, sorry. I could certainly be wrong here, but after raising so many Ameraucanas and a few EEs, I've never had any pullets show that much red at 8 weeks of age.

Here is an EE pullet at 12 weeks old, a full month older that your bird--see how her comb is still barely even pink yet?

Last edited:
I say cockerel. At 8 weeks, she shows lots of red in that comb. No way that's a pullet, IMO, sorry. I could certainly be wrong here, but after raising so many Ameraucanas and a few EEs, I've never had any pullets show that much red at 8 weeks of age.

Here is an EE pullet at 12 weeks old, a full month older that your bird--see how her comb is still barely even pink yet?

x2

It does look rather pink in the picture, but in real life it doesn't seem more red than some of my other definite pullets. Do EE pullet combs stay lighter for longer? I'm pretty sure it's definitely not as red as my BO cockerel's comb, although maybe with the different types of combs it's different? I will go out and look at it again. Thanks for your input!

speckledhen - when do EE cockerels get wattles? Mine doesn't have any at all and it's yellow where they will be.

Back
Top Bottom