8 week LF cochin. Boy or girl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BlueMouse, Aug 2, 2013.

1. BlueMouse

BlueMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    Esperance NY
    [​IMG]

I'm really terrible at sexing birds. I'm really hoping this one is a pullet?

2. eggmensgd

eggmensgd New Egg

Aug 2, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Currently, it looks like a pullet (hen), but I am not 100% sure. I would wait until all of its feathers come in to be sure. If the vent is a slit, not shiny and sometimes, has circular bumps around it, its a hen. If it is shiny and circular, its a male.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I think it's a cockerel.

4. BlueMouse

BlueMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    Esperance NY
    so one in each camp now. sigh. this is a friends bird. I have to decide if I'm going to buy it or not. I don't want to buy it if it's a cockerel because I already have a roo, and can really only have one with my small flock. it has a smaller/lighter comb and is smaller than the rest of it's hatch mates.... but. I just don't know.

5. chickita12

chickita12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2013
    Maybe wait I couple more weeks and then post more pics?I think it´s a roo but I´m not sure!Good Luck!

6. mamma buttercup

mamma buttercup Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2013
    It's sooooo hard to tell with these little guys. I have three and they are six weeks and from day old feather sexing I think I have a male and two females. Though last hatch I was convinced I had three females and two started to crow at sixteen weeks.........broke my heart to get rid of them as knew they would end up as meat. I love chicken don't get me wrong but not when I have raised and named it!!!!

7. heronz

heronz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Looks like a cockerel to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by