8 week old Australorp mutts - ROOS??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sunflower4you, Jul 25, 2014.

1. sunflower4you

sunflower4you Chirping

Jul 22, 2014
    My chicks are about 7-8 weeks old (don't know exact birthdate). Mom was a black Australorp / silkie mix and Dad could have been any of 4 different roosters so the chicks may have different dads. I got them from my SIL that had a broody hen that decided to hatch a bunch of chicks up in the hay mow so sorry I don't have more details! I was hoping for 4 hens, but I think I got 2 of each. What makes this tricky is the fact that they are mutts (I say that in the most loving way - they are all sweet!). What do you think?

The 2 on the left are my suspect cockerels (more comb/wattle development). I believe the 2 on the right are pullets.
    [​IMG]

Suspect #1: Sunshine (sorry the head is blurry)
    Sunshine has black legs, but the middle toe on each foot is yellow.
    [​IMG]

Suspect #2: Dots
    Dots is mostly black with white speckles on the chest feathers and brown tips on the wing feathers. No tail yet.
    [​IMG]

Dots again
    [​IMG]

Third picture of Dots. I noticed the eyes are larger than the other birds.
    [​IMG]

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I'd say you are on the right track.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the Word Staff Member Premium Member 7 Years

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    X2 I think you have properly picked out the cockerels! Very cute birds!!

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Yep you got it!

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Crowing 5 Years

Jul 24, 2013
    The two on the right of the first photo do look like roosters-- I think that your guesses are right!

6. sunflower4you

sunflower4you Chirping

Jul 22, 2014
    Bummed that I probably have 2 roosters. I am attached to all of my chickies, but I need eggs, not roosters. Lots of questions:

1. Should I wait any longer to be "sure" since I will most likely have to cull them? Does this mean waiting until their saddle feathers grow in?

2. Should I just euthanize them now or raise them up until they can be eaten? At what age are they big enough for eating? I cannot butcher them, but my husband offered to euthanize them for me. If I raise them for eating, then I have to find somebody to butcher them which is proving challenging.

3. Will the 2 remaining pullets be devastated if half of their flock suddenly disappears?

I appreciate anyone's suggestions. This is frustrating since I want a 4-6 hen laying flock and now I have to figure out how to introduce new birds at some point because 2 hens is not enough.

[​IMG]

7. sunflower4you

sunflower4you Chirping

Jul 22, 2014
    Oh man. This morning right before I opened the coop door I heard, "Rrr rrr r" (sounded like half a pathetic crow that stopped mid-sentence). Unfortunately, the culprit sounded off BEFORE the door was open so I'm not sure who did it but I saw Dots' neck all stretched out as they stood on their roost. Guess I'll be happy to have confirmation, but disappointed to have to get rid of any of my flock.

8. Chicky Crazy

Chicky Crazy Songster

Feb 27, 2013
    I'm sorry:(

9. sunflower4you

sunflower4you Chirping

Jul 22, 2014
    Updated pictures...my how they grow in a week! Still sure they are boys??? Cause I'm about to post them on Craigslist. Sad to see them go. [​IMG] I did hear one of them actually crow twice today, but not sure which one.

Dots' pea comb (I think?)
    [​IMG]

Dots again
    [​IMG]

Sunshine - single comb
    [​IMG]

Sunshine again
    [​IMG]

10. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Songster

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity