8 Week Old Barred Mystery Chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BrookBottomFarm, May 22, 2019.

1. BrookBottomFarm

BrookBottomFarm Chirping

May 2, 2014
    Hi! I got these 4 supposed "orpington pullets" from our local Tractor Supply at the end of March. At the time, they were little gray and yellow puffs that I didn't know much about other than what the tub they were in at the store was labeled. At first, I thought perhaps they were black orpington, or even perhaps blues, but it quickly become apparent that they were definitely something different. My current guess is Barred Rock, but that wasn't even a breed listed on any of the tubs of chicks at the store at the time! (From memory, they supposedly had Orpington-All Colors; Golden Comets; Black Sex-Link; Silkies; Isa Browns; Cornish X).

Here are some pics. As you can see, they all have blue eyes (due to age?), have more of a gray color than black (which worries me that they might be roos), and have black splashing on their legs. They have rose combs that are also all fairly light pink in color, though two seem to be bigger than those of the other two. What do you think? Thanks!
    Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 11.40.27 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 11.41.18 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 11.42.49 AM.png

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  2. Wolfefarmyard

Wolfefarmyard Crowing

Aug 18, 2017
    Gansevoort, NY
    They look like Dominiques to me!

And it does look like you’ve got an awful lot of boys.

3. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    They are Dominiques, and they are all cockerels.

eta: They don't have double combs, they have rose combs.

BrookBottomFarm likes this.
  4. BrookBottomFarm

BrookBottomFarm Chirping

May 2, 2014
    Thanks for the comb clarification. Always helpful to know the correct terminology.
    And as I know nothing about Dominiques, would you mind helping me understand how you know they are all cockerels? Thanks!

5. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    8 weeks old, and that much comb and wattle and that red indicates cockerel. In addition, male Dominiques and barred rocks have double barring genes, whereas females only get one. This makes the males appear much lighter than females...as seen in these barred rocks below.
    barred-rock-hen-rooster-chicken.jpg

BrookBottomFarm likes this.
  6. BrookBottomFarm

BrookBottomFarm Chirping

May 2, 2014
    Thank you! I suppose that's what I get for buying "pullets" from Tractor Supply. Wrong breed, wrong sex. Ahh! We already have 2 roos (an old man barnyard bantam & a Rhode Island Red) and are down to only 7 hens, so it looks like I'm going to need to start looking to rehome/trade ASAP. Thanks, again, for your help!

Wolfefarmyard likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: