8 week old birds and rain

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by franksgreengirl, Jun 14, 2016.

1. franksgreengirl

franksgreengirl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2013
    Minneapolis, MN
    Of course it would start raining like we are in the Amazon the first day we put the girls out in their coop. They've been exploring the run all week and as soon as we got the coop water tight (yesterday due to leak in one nest box), the skies open up a thousand kegs of H20+
    I have some question while I ponder bringing them in the house like a fool; should I leave their pop door open or do I lock them inside of the coop? Do chickens like the rain? If they get wet do I have to blow dry them or will they dry off in their bedding? My mom who has been raising layers and meat birds for years and says I'm nuts but I just want to make sure my tiny micro-flock will be ok. I've been around adult birds but never experienced such young birds first hand. [​IMG]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

8 week olds are basically fully feathered, so I wouldn't be too worried. Just provide them with shelter and they will get out of the rain if and when they feel like it.

1 person likes this.
  3. franksgreengirl

franksgreengirl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2013
    Minneapolis, MN
    Thank you @QueenMisha they definitely are full feathered. It happened way quicker than I was prepared for.
    I just sent son back out to open the pop door, and think they are enjoying this peek-a-boo game we have going on. [​IMG]
    I can't believe what a nervous Nelly I have become in the last couple of months. :) Well, I'll not bother them tonight if they're enjoying their cute little selves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by