8 Week Old Chick Acting..."Off"

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hokankai, Jul 14, 2011.

1. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    One of my bantam cochin pullets has been acting strange the last few days. She's not as zippy as she used to be, looks slightly puffed up (although they are outside...this is their first week outside), and doesn't peep like...at all. Her wings also look a little droopy or something like they aren't being held tightly folded at her sides.

I listened to her chest and nose/mouth and can't hear any signs of respiratory problems. She was having problems pooping a couple days ago...it was like her poop was too big or something, but I haven't seen her have trouble with that since. When I was out there she pooped a tiiiny bit of poop, but I don't know if that was just leftover or if something isn't wrong in her digestive tract.

I'm worried about her, she's one of two pullets I got out of this hatch and I NEED her to be okay [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  2. greenkjb

greenkjb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    Are her eyes closed?

3. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    No she isn't keeping her eyes closed, but they aren't as wide as when she was younger and more spazzy. I looked her over and I see no mites, fleas, or any other external causes. She's just SO quiet. She squawked once which was when I flipped her over to look at her, but other than that she's silent...weird.

I put some vitamins/electrolytes in their water and I'll see what that does for her

4. greenkjb

Aug 13, 2010
    I just went through something similar with my 7 week old BR. I would isolate immediately. After messaging with a very wise BYCer I treated her and the entire flock for coccidiosis. I used Corid liquid. My BR was just really lethargic, fluffed up and kept her eyes closed. At one point she was lying on her back. I started syringing her the medicated water and would also syringe her plain yogurt. Believe it or not she made a full recovery! The eye closing is not a usual characteristic of cocci, but it must just be what she did because she wasn't feeling well? I was told the Corid would not hurt them even if it wasn't cocci so I had nothing to lose. FYI if you do decide to treat for cocci take them off medicated feed while you do it. Good luck!

5. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Can they get cocci even when they are on medicated feed? They've been on medicated feed since hatch and none of the others seems to be weird. I also noticed today that the feathers near her vent are wet, but I haven't really checked the others to see if it's just her or not.

6. greenkjb

Aug 13, 2010
    Mine were/are on medicated feed as well. Apparently the feed only helps the chicks build immunity. Cocci is everywhere and lives naturally in their gut. It can still make chickens ill, especially between the ages of 7-10 weeks I think? Anyways, mine had very similar symptoms, and the rest of my flock were fine as well. Might be worth trying [​IMG]

7. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    I'd definitely recommend treating for cocci asap. This is a very common ailment in chicks this age and they can die very quickly from it.

8. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Well alrighty then, I'll try and find some tomorrow [​IMG]

Would it be a common thing normal feed stores carry? Anyone know if Wilco carries it?

9. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    Yes, Wilco carries Corid liquid dosed at the rate of 2 tsp. per gallon for 5 days. They also carry sulmet liquid and sulfadimethoxine powder if you have to go to something stronger. The Corid is easier on them and best to start with that. Feed them just the medicated water and their crumbles, no high protein treats during the course of treatment.

10. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Fantastic, I'll drive up there this afternoon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by