8 week old chick, clear fluid coming from mouth

Tiffydawn777

Chirping
Oct 28, 2020
This is not an emergency but I want to make sure before it becomes an emergency....I have 10 8 week old chicks and I am still keeping them in a brooding area on my back porch. After putting their food out this morning, one of the Cochins had about a tablespoon of clear fluid come out of its beak. It looked like it had the consistency of egg white but before I could investigate further the chicks trampled the substance. They are all very active and eating and drinking normally including the one I saw vomit the clear liquid.....I have looked in the forums and couldn’t find anything about this situation and was just hoping to make sure this was normal-ish or something I should keep on eye out for more serious symptoms.?

This is not an emergency but I want to make sure before it becomes an emergency....I have 10 8 week old chicks and I am still keeping them in a brooding area on my back porch. After putting their food out this morning, one of the Cochins had about a tablespoon of clear fluid come out of its beak. It looked like it had the consistency of egg white but before I could investigate further the chicks trampled the substance. They are all very active and eating and drinking normally including the one I saw vomit the clear liquid.....I have looked in the forums and couldn’t find anything about this situation and was just hoping to make sure this was normal-ish or something I should keep on eye out for more serious symptoms.?

Had you picked them up? Sometimes, if a chick just drank a lot of water, when they get picked up or disturbed in any way, they'll vomit it up. It's a bit of a shock to see, but they're fine, they're just greedy drinkers. I don't know if that's the case for your bird, but that's what it sounds like to me. Just keep an eye on them for any other odd behavior.

Had you picked them up? Sometimes, if a chick just drank a lot of water, when they get picked up or disturbed in any way, they'll vomit it up. It's a bit of a shock to see, but they're fine, they're just greedy drinkers. I don't know if that's the case for your bird, but that's what it sounds like to me. Just keep an eye on them for any other odd behavior.
I didn’t pick them up but they did just drink a lot of water right before....

Back
Top Bottom