8 week old chick ill...is it sour crop?

MontanaDolphin

Songster
6 Years
Feb 16, 2013
Columbia, Virginia
Yesterday I went into the coop that houses 29 chicks, different breeds. One of them, a silkie/polish cross, was standing alone, facing the wall. I didn't realize there was a problem until 10 minutes later she was still there...hadn't moved. When I went to her, she didn't move...which is NOT normal. She runs from me, and most certainly will NOT let me touch her...and she didn't flinch when I picked her up. Since I have Polish, I know that a lot of times, as soon as the feathers block vision, they tend to become extremely docile...I have trimmed many feathers around eyes just so the chicks/chickens can see. I thought, perhaps, that's what was going on with this chick, so I trimmed her feathers. Nothing changed. So I felt her crop, and it was a big balloon filled with liquid...I felt nothing solid in there.

I went inside and looked up the symptoms...lethargic, not eating or drinking, crop full of liquid...and got a lot of results saying it was sour crop. Followed online instructions to make her throw up...which, btw, didn't take much...as soon as I tilted her forward and pressed on her crop, she vomited. Lots of liquid came out...she vomited three or four times. Put her back in the coop.

I checked her this morning and her crop was full of liquid again. Made her vomit, then offered her some plain yogurt. She ate some...not a lot, but some.

BTW, I read that the odor is bad when a chick or chicken has sour crop. Although hers smells "sour", it certainly isn't a strong odor like everyone says...if, in fact, the problem IS sour crop.

Does it sound like that is what she has? And if so, am I doing what I should be doing to help her?

TYIA.

I would stop vomiting her because she may have coccidiosis, and that is dehydrating her. Cocci symptoms are lethargy, standing hunched or puffed up, poor appetite, ruffled feathers, and diarrhea, sometimes with blood depending on the strain. Some chickens can have a slow crop with other illnesses, so just massage her crop several times daily. Start Corid as soon as you can get it if she has these symptoms, and treat all chicks at the same time. Corid dosage is 2 tsp of liquid (or 1.5 tsp of powder) in a gallon of water--change daily, and treat for 5 days.

Back
Top Bottom