8 week old chick needs 'extra boost' nutritionally.....Suggestions????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hoosiermomma, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Songster

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Hi. I just bought a trio of blue bantam cochins. They are approx eight weeks. The pullets are doing great but the cockerel looks alot smaller than they do. He is acting like a very new chick would only alot more sleepy. When I have him with the two pullets,they are quite a bit bigger than he is and all he wants to do is to try and nestle up under their wings. If they won't allow him then he goes in a corner and puts his own head under his wing and sleeps. His poo seems normal and he eats/drinks fine. During the day I have a red heat light on him (it's about 5' above him so as not to overheat him). I have been keeping him inside until I know he'll be okay.
    If you have any suggestions on what I could try, please email me. I am thinking about trying to add some scrambled eggs to his feed today. I have them on Purina start and grow. Would electrolytes in the water help?
    Thanks..........
    Debby [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2009
  2. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would get rid of the heat, and keep him with the others if they are not pecking him. You can easily do more harm than good with electrolytes. I would separate him for a few minutes a couple of times a day and give him something high protein, like the eggs, or a little meat or fish. I would also give him some probiotics like plain live culture yogurt (good for all of them actually.) If your feed does not have amprolium in it, I would give them all a round of Corid, in case they have too many cocci.

Cockerels often do grow more slowly than pullets.

3. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Songster

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Thanks for the information. I'll try that![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: