8 week old chick with splayed leg

margaretweiss

In the Brooder
May 17, 2019
I just noticed our 8 week old Jersey Giant has splayed leg. What have you done to fix this? We banded her legs together. Should we move her out of the coop for her protection? We went through this with a one week old chick with success but this seems harder to take care of. Any advice is appreciated!

I’ve never had a chick that old with splay leg. I have had success with hobbles on a two week old chick though. The hobbles just staid on for longer than they did for a day.

Separating her might stress her out less if she’s having trouble getting around and keeping up. If she’s not having trouble and isn’t getting trampled or picked on then she might be okay to stay with the others.

I was just given ~ 6 week old chicks that were healthy with me for a week and then overnight one has deveoped something like splayed leg. One leg was very weak one day, and the next day both are weak and she can no longer move really at all. Came online to look for some answers too! Had heard of in baby chicks but puzzled how this developed.

Back
Top Bottom