8 week old chick won't use one leg - injury?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BuffyandFluffy, Aug 8, 2011.

1. BuffyandFluffy

BuffyandFluffy New Egg

Aug 6, 2011
    We are new at this....our first chicks! We have a rhodie whose right leg we think she injured flying out of henhouse 5 days ago. She puts very little weight on the leg and for the most part holds it out to the right. We have kept her in a dog kennel (per all the other posts) but she does not seem to be getting better. She is drinking and eating. I do not notice swelling, maybe the right is a bit warmer than the left leg. She curls her toes around my finger with her left foot but hardly at all with the right. I looked at the slipped Achhilles info on poultrypedia is that what this is? Any suggestions? One acquaintance suggested we 'cut our losses' - find that hard to do.... Help! Please!

2. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    sorry you are in this situation, I am too. I am newer too. So not much help, but my 5 month old hens limps, and runs on one leg. Have no clue what happened, Hopefully another more experienced person will come on , and help. I am too knew to do much good for you. Good luck though:)

3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Its really hard to tell what might be wrong. I wish I could be more helpful. Does she even walk on it ? Can she put any weight on it ? Does it hurt when you bend her leg gently back and forth? Gentle pinch her toe, does she respond? Chickens are very tough, as long as she is eating drinking give her some time she might just be very sore. It doesn't sound like it is broke ? [​IMG]

4. rjlanger2

rjlanger2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    Central Texas
    As long as she is eating and drinking, just wait and see. I'm sure she'll do just fine. As far as cutting your losses, I'd wait a bit. You might be surprised at how well she adapts.

Bob
    ---------------------------
    5 RIRs, 3 White Leghorns, and 1 very mean Lavender Guinea

5. BuffyandFluffy

BuffyandFluffy New Egg

Aug 6, 2011
    Thanks for your support! She does put a bit of weight on it but must balance herself with her wing. When I pick her up I can bend it (as it should naturally bend) and she does not seem to be in pain, just fussy about being held. The lack of response in her foot is what is puzzling. Can I use human B vits ground up and dissolved into the water? I have some Super B complex by NatureMade. Our Buffs and Barred Rocks are so friendly, the Rhodies don't want to come up to be petted or picked up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by