8 week old chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KarenLynn8, Jun 9, 2016.

1. KarenLynn8

KarenLynn8 New Egg

Feb 22, 2016
    I had a flock of 12 eight week old chicks - 10 of them I bought from Mypetchicken.com and 2 of them were locally bought from a private party. All have been healthy. All are sleeping in their coop and going out in their run during the day. Nothing out of the ordinary. One day I was not home - my hubby accidentally fed them scratch grains with hard corn kernels. This morning I found one of my chicks dead - it looks like she died in her sleep. Yesterday I noticed this chick was a little lethargic and she was sleeping more and had smaller poops. None of the other chicks show anything like this. Could the scratch grains have killed her? The run does have a lot of sand in it.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    From what you are describing lethargy, sleeping - my best guess would be Coccidiosis. You can treat Cocci with Corid which is found at your local feed store. Some symptoms of Cocci lethargy, not eating, diarrhea with mucus or blood, loss of balance, and puffing up.

Dosage for Cocci is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon
    Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

At 8 weeks they should be able to eat treats such as scratch grains and cracked corn with no problem as long as a sufficient source of grit is available. Some people use sand for grit, but it won't hurt to provide them with commercial grit (granite) free choice if you feel the sand is not working.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1103914/coccidiosis-not-sure-if-my-chickens-have-it

3. KarenLynn8

KarenLynn8 New Egg

Feb 22, 2016
    Thank you so much! It is hard to find chicken information from the vets where I live. I can get Amprollium but not Corid. Would you know the dosing for that and can that be substituted? Thanks again, Karen

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
  5. KarenLynn8

KarenLynn8 New Egg

Feb 22, 2016
    Thanks for all your help! I started the amprolium powder today. So far, so good.

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    You're welcome [​IMG]

Please keep us updated on how she is doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by