8 week old chicken appears to be sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by babsi, Oct 10, 2016.

1. babsi

babsi Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2016
    Beautiful NW
    I have four chickens. They are now 8 weeks old and have been in their enclosure with hen house for about 2 weeks. One of my easter eggers is not as peppy today. She kind of looks at the food but is not really eating. She's still with the others, but not as fast. She also keeps her head tucked in and not at the usual curious long looking around angle. I'm totally clueless and hope someone knows something to help me out!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    At this age coccidiosis can be a problem. It can cause sleepiness, runny or bloody poops, not eating, sitting hunched or puffed up, weakness, and ruffled feathers. A vet can check the droppings for coccidia or you can start Corid (amprollium) in the water--2 tsp of the liquid or 1 1/2 tsp of the powder per gallon of water made fresh daily for 5 days. Make sure also that the chick is not being bullied away from food and water, and that she is not somehow injured.

3. babsi

babsi Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2016
    Beautiful NW
    Thanks for answering! I was guessing the same thing, she looked tired, not peppy and puffed up. So I did start them on Corrid, but my instructions from the breeder say 1 tsp per gallon...?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That might work, but most of us use 2tsp of the liquid or 1 1/2 tsp of the powder per gallon for an acute outbreak or serious infection. When using Corid as a preventative, the dosage can be less. In some older threads on BYC, many used much less to treat since the manufacturer only gave instructions for cattle. It is a safe medicine to use, but the chickens need to drink enough of it to get the benefits.

5. babsi

babsi Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2016
    Beautiful NW
    Thanks for the clarification. She's much better today and I will up the corid dosage. I was sceptical about the instruction from the barn where i got them. They had me use corid for when my last chick had a respiratory problem. Of course she died. I'm not about to visit them again. Do I give them corid past the first 5 days?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by