8 week old chickens dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by moorephotos, May 17, 2010.

1. moorephotos

moorephotos New Egg

May 17, 2010
    My chickens that are approximately 8 weeks old are getting sick and dying. I've had 5 die in the last 5 days. I have approx. 60 chickens..25 are very healthy free range chickens; 23 three week old chicks that seem to be very healthy as well; and started with 15 other chicks (now about 8 weeks old); however, 5 have died for no apparent reasons. All of my small chicks are in large cages to protect them from the large chickens. I clean all feeders & waterers daily, as well as clean their coop on a regular basis during this wet season. There are no obvious reasons as to why the chicks are getting sick; they discountinue eating/drinking and become very weak then die after 24 hours. Any suggestions from anyone?? [​IMG]

2. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    What kind of food are they eating? What kind of bedding do they have? Ummm...has anything happened that might stress them for any reason?

Just trying to think of possibilities. At 8 weeks, you'd think you were practically home free, huh? [​IMG]

I hope someone can help you figure this out!

3. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    you said wet season, is there a chance they got wet? it doesn't take much for a chicken to die from being chilled. being wet and being in a draft is not good, we had some guineas my DH put out in a rabbit pen, we got a bad rain, raining sideways... anyways I went out and there was 1 dead, they were wet, I moved them to another enclosed rabbit cage with a light and left them there for another week until it got sunny out and warmer. they were about the same age as yours.

4. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Is there any blood in their poop? It could be cocci...? Have you tried treating them for it? Are they dying one at a time or in numbers?
    My other thought is botulism (with the wet weather comes moldy straw, bedding ect...)

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2010
  5. moorephotos

moorephotos New Egg

May 17, 2010
    I have a fairly large coop so these particular chicks aren't exposed to any rain. I've lost 5 chicks in 5 days; however, today was a good day [​IMG] ...no loss today! I had straw in the coop, but after the 2nd chick that died, I cleaned the coop and removed the straw. They now have pine shavings. I still have one chick that is moving slow and sleeps a lot. I did see some blood in the poop, so after doing some research I'm concluding that they have a bacterial infection. I fed all the chickens yogurt & applesauce mixed with their granules yesterday. The weak chick is still hanging on today. I purchased Aureomycin today and mixed it with the feed to treat all the chickens. Instructions say to feed them this combination for 14 days. I have zero experience with this, so any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for the responses so far! [​IMG]

6. babsbag

babsbag Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    Anderson, CA
    If there is blood in the poop I would say they have coccidiosis and you need to treat with Corid or Sulmet. They are about the right age for this. You treat the water for 5 days and should see results within a day. It is very common, and fairly easy to treat, but do it ASAP. And I do mean ASAP.

You can get the meds at Tractor Supply and probably any feed store. Don't delay and if this isn't what they have it still won't hurt them. After you treat them then start the yogurt.

7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Bloody stools ..... most likely cocci. You need Corid. It is a 5 day treatment. Use 9 - 10 cc per gallon of fresh water each day. Use this as their only source of water.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by