8 week old chicks, adult rooster behavior, question?

silkymom

Songster
10 Years
Nov 20, 2009
i have 2 coops side by side, one with adult birds one with chicks, they have been side by side for a few weeks now, the chick yard is small and wrapped in hardware cloth so hard to see through exept for the door, we need to get these guys together (more peeps need to go out soon,) we brought the adult bird fence around to enclose the whole chick coop and pen so they could come into the big yard when adults were free ranging, the first day the big roo went right to the fence and started pecking grass and seemed to be offering it to the babies, then the hens came up and challenged the chicks, one little roo tryed to spur one big hen through the wire, the big roo then ran the adule hens off and noe gaurds the chicks door i think to keep the hens away ? so my question is, will he protect them from the big hens if i now let them get together? or should i try the chicks with just the big roo first and kick the hens out for awhile?? thanks i dont want anyone hurt.

Very frequently roosters help to protect chicks raised in the flock. This behavior is not common to ALL roosters. I would try the chicks with the rooster first and then gradually introduce the hens. Big chickens pick on little chickens.

thanks we were not sure if separating the big roo would make the normally super freindly hens even madder ,i have to wait till the shade shows up in a bit, its 90 degrees here and i dont want them running around with no shade,

I’m not sure how old these chicks are or how much space in your various areas you have. I think you have a fairly decent sized run for the adults but also let them free range? The age of the chicks and how much room you have will make some differences.

Sometimes, but not always, a rooster will help take care of chicks raised with the flock. If he sees them when they are young enough he assumes they are his and of course a good rooster takes care of all his flock. Not all roosters are good but I’ve yet to see a dominant adult rooster threaten any chick raised with the flock. If you wait until the chicks are old enough to be rivals or strangers with a different father he is less likely to welcome them. It sounds like your rooster assumes they are his.

Sour’s suggestion is probably the safest. I just let mine loose to roam with the entire flock when I think they are ready, anywhere from 5 to 8 weeks old is pretty typical for me, but that is more because I use a grow-out pen than because I’m that worried about the flock hurting them. Most of the time the adult hens ignore the chicks unless the chicks invade their personal space. It usually doesn’t take long for the younger chicks to learn to avoid the adult hens. They pretty much form a separate flock during the day until they mature enough to force their way into the main flock.

When nighttime comes they should want to go back to their smaller coop instead of joining the big flock. That’s good. Let them sleep separately until they get really used to each other.

Just saw the eight weeks in your title. I'd think they are good to go.

Last edited:
thanks, yes 8 weeks and not so much smaller than the hens, all very tame birds, the big fenced yard is aprox 20 by 20, they can free range 40 acres of woods, the chick yard is small they are in a raised a-frams, mabey 10 feet bt 4 of ouside ground room,

well i tryed it, i put my lawn chair in the fenced yard, opened the chick door and started throwing treats, all was good while the treats were comming, then the hens did some baby pecking, not to bad the chicks ran away, then frost(big roo) had enough, he made a noise that sent the big hens under their tree and the chicks under the raised a-frame coop, he stood by me in the middle to keep the peace i think, we both got to hot soon so i let the big birds out to go bugging in the woods, moved water out for them, once they were out the chicks came out and practiced flying and playing in the dirt holes in the shade, i guess ill do this for a few days before leaving them unsupervised. thanks all im proud of my roo, ive never seen this happen before.

I agree you have reason to be proud of your roo. He displayed exemplary behavior as flock co-leader, you being leader.

I'm curious as to what breed he is and how old. And what region do you live in?

frost is the brother of rodney the roo in my avitar, hes 2 yrs i think infertile 24 eggs i tryed to hatch not good, but rodney did fine i got ten from him, he is a silver laced wyanndot/rir and i guess somewhere yrs ago in the line was a bantam roo of some sort, rodney had a pea comb, frost dont, im gonna have to keep a couple young roos , if frost cant have babies i may have to re home, but ill give him another chance and he will live, hes a goood guy

Back
Top Bottom