8 week old chicks coccidiosis? Tylan?

newchickenmom17

Hatching
Mar 21, 2018
I had 12 chicks that are about 8 weeks old. They are in the house in a pallet sized box. This is our second year with chickens. Our older flock is all outside in a big coop and we let them out to free range. We took the young ones outside twice so far since we had nice days.
One chicken started acting sick, lethargic standing still hunched over with her head tucked in and Feathers puffed out and eventually stopped eating and passed away. A second chicken assumed the same posture and we had already isolated those two, they would stand close together huddled as if chilled. The second victim seems to still be eating and drinking.
Now a third hen has assumed the posture and is having trouble standing up.
Corid arrived at the house yesterday and I added it to their water. Previously, I was giving electrolytes with a probiotic and I also had a bit of a powder to mix with water that had an antibiotic in it that a local Feed Store gives to their new chicks.
Should I try injectable Tylan?

Welcome to BYC, and sorry about losing your chick. It does sound like possible coccidiosis. Corid dosage is 1.5 tsp of the powder or 2 tsp of the liquid per gallon of water mixed daily for 7 days. Make sure they are drinking it or it won’t help. Tylan is an antibiotic used mostly to treat respiratory diseases and for enteritis. I would stick with the Corid for 7 days, and then again start some vitamins and probiotics. Hopefully, the losses will stop, but cocci can be a problem when there are older chickens around. With new chicks I like to put a chunk of sod into the brooder from early on so they will slowly build up tolerance to coccidia in the soil and poop.

I agree with Eggcessive. Treat for cocci. I usually start putting a little coop dirt in their brooder about a week to week and a half before I'm ready to put them out in their coop/run. That way they have time to slowly build up resistance.

Welcome to BYC, and sorry about losing your chick. It does sound like possible coccidiosis. Corid dosage is 1.5 tsp of the powder or 2 tsp of the liquid per gallon of water mixed daily for 7 days. Make sure they are drinking it or it won’t help. Tylan is an antibiotic used mostly to treat respiratory diseases and for enteritis. I would stick with the Corid for 7 days, and then again start some vitamins and probiotics. Hopefully, the losses will stop, but cocci can be a problem when there are older chickens around. With new chicks I like to put a chunk of sod into the brooder from early on so they will slowly build up tolerance to coccidia in the soil and poop.
Thanks for replying. I wish I could speed it up. The second chick died this evening. One other be I'lls looks pretty droopy, but the rest are all acting normal so far.

I agree with Eggcessive. Treat for cocci. I usually start putting a little coop dirt in their brooder about a week to week and a half before I'm ready to put them out in their coop/run. That way they have time to slowly build up resistance.
I'll bring in dirt next time I get new chicks. I didn't see that piece of advice before we put the little girls outside.

Back
Top Bottom