1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

8 Week Old Chicks Losing Feathers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wildwoodkanes, May 31, 2013.

1. Wildwoodkanes

Wildwoodkanes New Egg

May 31, 2013
    Hillsboro, MO
    We have 7 hens of various breeds. Over the last week or so we've found about 3 to 6 feathers per day in the run and the coop. The feathers are broken off at the base. So far the chicks show no signs of large bald patches or obvious irritation. We have also not noticed any consistent aggressive behavior (beyond the normal establishment of the pecking order). Is this rate of feather loss typical for flock of 7 eight week old birds?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Sounds like it could be the adolescent molt.
    As they grow they molt various times just not like the annual one that usually start their second autumn.
    If feathers become brittle and break easily, it could also indicate a deficiency in animal protein. I like to give growing birds more protein than the 18% that is in most grower rations(and further diminished by treats and scratch). I use higher protein feeds based on fish and pork meal and meat/fish scraps.

1 person likes this.
  3. ChickenPalz

ChickenPalz Chillin' With My Peeps

i find my 7 week chicks feathers all the time in my coop.i think they just out grow them :)

1 person likes this.
  4. Wildwoodkanes

Wildwoodkanes New Egg

May 31, 2013
    Hillsboro, MO
    Thanks for the answers. We'll up their protein a bit and relax! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by