8 week old chicks seem skinny to me.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by oldchickenlady, Jun 21, 2010.

1. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Songster

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I have 12 8 week old chicks that I think are too skinny. I work 12 hour shifts and I let them out of the run to free range in my yard before I go to work and lock the run at night when I come home. When I close them up at night I always pick some of them up and check them over to see how they are doing. Well, it seems to me when I check them at night, their crops are almost empty (this is 8:30 at night). I have chick starter crumbles in a round metal hanging feeder that I keep filled every day, I check it morning and night and make sure it is filled and dispensing the feed correctly, I give them treats such as bread, grapes, scraps, etc on my days off, but they just seem skinny to me! I know they are adolescents and are still growing, but...They seem very healthy, bright eyes, very active, feathers are shiny, etc but they feel skinny to me! They have access to their feed all day, is there something else I can feed them to put a little weight on them, or is this normal at this stage of their life?

2. Ema

Ema Songster

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    It might be a stage they go through, I am not at that stage of age yet, mine are only 3 weeks old. But if you are worried maybe give them more feed, like adding another feeder and see what happens. Good luck!!!

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    What breed are they is the question and perhaps your idea of what the chicken may / should look like at that age.

AL

4. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Songster

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I have 6 RIR's and 6 BO's. They look great, very active, shiny eyes and feathers, no other health issues, but when I pick them up and feel of their bodies through the feathers, they are skinny! I know that they are still growing and all but...I cant stand it! I thought I might add some cottage cheese, safflower seeds, maybe some BOSS to their treat menu...what about peanut butter? Since mine free range every day, is it possible they are burning more calories running around? They have access to their feeder all day (it is the size suitable for up to 15 chickens) and I keep it filled every day so I can't do more than that, but I could increase the 'extra' stuff I give them. Got to do something...can't stand skinny chicks!

5. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Songster

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    One more question...when you feed black oil sunflower seeds, are they shelled or unshelled? Do they eat the shells or peck at them until they get them out of the shell? I haven't tried this yet so I am unsure about this. Thanks for any info or opinions!

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    RIR's & BO's this weight is typical and you shouldn't worry, most folks think these breeds will be stouter but alas they will never be and even more so if they are Hatchery stock. The important thing is they are thriving and will be fine.

AL

7. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Songster

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Well, I just went outside and gave the flock a mixture of safflower, cracked corn, boss, and some other seed (idk what it is) and they ate it like crazy! Especially out of my hand...they think what is in my hand is waaay better than what is on the ground! I had given them some fresh corn off the cob this am before letting them out of their run. While feeding them the seeds I picked up a couple and checked them well for mites and they were clean. They did still have a lot of new feathers coming in, so I guess their calories are all going to feathers and growth. I will up the calorie count on their treats and extra food and see if that will put a little 'meat on their bones'! I hope so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by