8 week old chicks still protest being held

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Evelyn11349, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Evelyn11349

Evelyn11349 New Egg

Jan 16, 2014
    We got our chicks at two weeks and we have held them daily. We give them delicious morsels and talk to them often. They are now 8 weeks and will be in the coop full time soon. They still don't seem to like us much. They run away in the yard when it's time to come in. The barred rocks scream when we get them. The rhode islands are a little better but they still would rather we let them be. I want to have them follow me around and love me. Any advice? Thanks so much

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    [​IMG] there at an age where they would be pushing away from their mama too, keep it up, they will be back in a couple weeks

2 people like this.
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Granny X2

It takes them time to know you are not out to eat them. Chickens in general don't like to be picked up. They are nervous when their feet leave the ground. My girls have never gotten over it and still fuss when picked up.

As for them being nervous or running from you, they can do that. My girls are huge lap babies. I can't go into the run or coop without birds wanting me to sit down on the floor so they can get on my lap. They even fight over who gets to sit closest to me. They follow me around like drooling puppies, but they hate to be grabbed and picked up. They still run from me daily.

The best thing you can do is go sit with them for 15 or 20 mins a day. Do it at the same time everyday as birds need routine. Bring some treats with you each time. When you go to greet them, dole out the goodies and then sit down with them. Save some of the goodies and feed them on your lap. Or sprinkle them around your legs and such. Let them get used to you. And stay there with them for 15 or 20 mins. If you do this every day, in a week or so, they will have less fear of you. Eventually they will be begging you to sit with them and will get all excited when they see you coming. Pretty soon they will be all over you.

Good luck with your babies and welcome to BYC!

4. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    did your kids ever like to take a ride on the vacuum? i have a little polish roo that is doing that to me now. he is obsessed with my shoes. lol every step i take he goes for a ride. and not too long ago they were terrified of me.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    LOL....no riding on my pant legs. Sound pretty comical! LOL

I am always stepping on my girls. They get under foot all the time. Or when I turn around, there they are and I step on their feet. Poor birds. LOL

6. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i have one that my shoe is bigger then the bird. he worries me. hehehe

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by