1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

8 week old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by his4ever, Jul 1, 2011.

1. his4ever

his4ever Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    HI!

So I have a friend giving me 5 8week old chicks. I have three girls that are almost full grown (I got them back in March). Could I let the little girls free in the chicken run with the big girls or do they need to stay separated for a while? Thanks!

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    8 week olds, they should be fine, try it and see if they injure the younger ones, I will be faced with this same scenario in a few weeks myself. Some like to put the younger ones in a wire cage, then into the coop, so the older ones get used to the new ones...I am going with the cage idea first...let us know what happens...

3. his4ever

his4ever Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    I think I might do the wire cage for now and let the big girls get used to them. Ahhh... fun times ahead [​IMG].

4. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    I'd do a smaller pen for a little while to see what happens. My girls are six weeks and my bigguns are 21 weeks. I've had the little ones in an x pen so the bigger ones can get used to the idea of sharing. It's going well, but no need to rush things.

5. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    My 5 little ones are separated by wire fencing in the run. They are 5 & 3 weeks old, the older ones are almost 8 weeks.
    My Rocks are the meanies, today two of my rocks flew over the fencing & were chasing the 3 week olds. Poor little things were hiding under the three 5 week old EE.
    I hope one day they will all get on together & be happy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by