8 week old Columbian Wyandottes (male of female)?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pkgurl, May 4, 2016.

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pkgurl

pkgurl New Egg

May 4, 2016
    First and foremost, I'm a long-time stalker, first-time poster to these forums. I've got a mixed-age/breed flock: 7 year-old hens and 9 chicks this spring. Their breeds are Easter Egger(1), Barred Rock(2), Buff Orp(2), RIR(2), Columbian Wyandotte(2), Blue-Laced Wyandotte(2), Jersey Black Giant(1), Black Sex Link(2), and Buff Chantecler(2). I've gained so much knowledge from everyone that I've never had to ask a question. Well, until now, of course. Haha!

Of our 2 are Columbian Wyandottes (currently 8 weeks old), one is now bigger than the other and has different feathering patterns, as well as a much large comb (wattles are also larger, though not as significantly larger). I know I could just wait it out and see if this bigger chick turns out to be a roo, but curiosity is getting the better of me.

I tried to get some decent pictures of the 2 this morning, but they are so dang fast. I hope these pics are good enough. Do you think I've got a roo on my hands? Thanks for humoring me [​IMG]

Comparing the two. Thinking the female on the left, male on the right. Larger comb, longer neck feathers too.
    [​IMG]

Profile of the possible roo. Long neck feathers and maybe the start of a little saddle back there?
    [​IMG]

Another possible roo pick. Easier to see the saddle-ish feathers.
    [​IMG]

Female on the left, possible-roo on the right.
    [​IMG]

Female (small, yellow comb, no saddle feathers, shorter neck feathers)
    [​IMG]

2. 5Gr8tKids

5Gr8tKids Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2015
    I voted roo, but I'll say I'm a first time chicken keeper so take it with a lot of salt ;-)

I think when you can see two of the same breed side by side it's easier to determine. Great pictures! Bet they'd make pretty babies ;-)

1 person likes this.
  3. dries86

dries86 Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2015
    Europe
    I'm convinced that's a rooster. you summed up all the reasons why I think so.

1 person likes this.
  4. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    I'd say you've got it pegged.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by