8 week old Delawares -- hen and roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sharol, Sep 10, 2010.

1. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    This is Angel
    [​IMG]

This is Lucy:
    [​IMG]

There are other pictures of the girls? at Picasa http://picasaweb.google.com/sharol46/FreeAtLastFor45Minutes# if you want to look there.

I was reading the Delaware thread, and Speckled Hen posted that female chicks have black tailfeathers with white around the edges and male chicks have barred tailfeathers. I suspect that Lucy is a boy. The set of her tail worries me, too.

Someone with Delaware experience, do I have a hen and a roo or two hens? If Lucy is a roo, are Del roos usually good roos to keep? I'm in a position to keep a roo (not two, though, too few hens).

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They look like two pullets. The second one has barred tail feathers that will molt out as she matures, around 15-18 weeks old, or they should. As an adult, she will probably not have any barred tail feathers, but instead, will have proper tail black (black feathers edged in white). There's nothing about the second one that says male to me at this age. By 8 weeks, most Del males will have huge combs. Lucy could be a very late blooming male, but I doubt it.

This is Gracie at about 13 weeks old--lots of tail barring

[​IMG]

Later, about 15 weeks old:

[​IMG]

21 weeks old:

[​IMG]

3. bella1210

bella1210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    ct
    i think they are both hens

4. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Thank you both so much. My Delawares are the friendliest of my chickens as well as the pushyest (is that a word?) in terms of being the first to be petted and held.

I appreciate your taking time to respond.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Oh, yeah, they're pushy for sure! They are affectionate to the point of being annoying and a trip hazard.

6. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Idaho
    Look like girls to me![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by