1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

8 week old EE chicks - cockerels? Pullets?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Wynette, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Hello there! I tried to get close-ups of their combs - I THINK I've got 3 cockerels and 2 pullets, but not sure. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! (I also have side shots if that would help):

Chick #1 (cockerel?):
    [​IMG]

Chick #2 (pullet, I think):
    [​IMG]

Chick #3 (cockerel?)
    [​IMG]

Chick #4 (pullet?)
    [​IMG]

Chick #5 (cockerel?)
    [​IMG]

2. angelmarie

angelmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    maybe you could get a shot of them from father away, so we can see tail feathers leg thickness ect. [​IMG]

3. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I think #1 might be a boy, #2 definately girl, #3 Looks girly but that is a thick comb , #'s 4 & 5 i would say girls!

Do you have any body shots?

I have an 8 week old boy EE and his comb is very red but looks like #1.

4. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Looks to me like you guessed right but I wouldnt be too quick to get rid of the Roos just yet until you know for sure. Ameracuana/EE take longer to fully develop then other breeds and what you may think is a Roo may surprise you and be a hen.

5. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I agree with the poster above me-and the final one may be a pullet. I wouldn't get rid of any just yet though!

6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    #1 definately a cockerel.

#2 & #3 iffy.

#4 & #5 look like pullets to me.

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Thanks for all your feedback! I'm in no hurry to get rid of my extra cockerels at this point; I'll for sure keep #1, as he looks just like his momma, and was extremely ill for a long time. With all the hand feeding I did with him, I got really attached to him. I wasn't going to keep any cockerels, and I'm not sure how I'll make it work with keeping him, but hopefully I'll get it all figured out! Anyhow, thanks for your feedback - it's very much appreciated! [​IMG]

8. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    1 and 3 are boys and 2, 4, and 5 look like girls. But they can surprise you...lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by