1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

8 week old EE gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BroosterSpringsteen, Aug 20, 2013.

1. BroosterSpringsteen

BroosterSpringsteen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    Ok, I have another head scratcher. Solid white EEs are so hard to sex sometimes. It has some comb development, but far less than it's 2 brothers, who already have dark pink pea combs. This EE is 8 weeks. Opinions?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm not sure on the gender. The body shape, stance, and feathering make me think female, but the comb is a little pink to be sure. I'm going go with female for now.

On a side note, his/her beak is a little too long. You need to trim it so that it is not hooked on the end. Just get some human fingernail clippers and clip it until it is just a little longer than the bottom part of the beak.

3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Tough call. The posture strikes me as roo, but it isn't showing any other features that would make me positively say it's a roo.

4. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    Hmmm looks pullety to me so far, maybe post again an a couple weeks if trees any comb development and look for the hackle and saddle feathers coming in. Usually I look for color to sex but this one is a bit tricky. :p

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    I am going with cockerel as well.

6. BroosterSpringsteen

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    Thanks for the input. It is a puzzler. This is its brother, an obvious roo, for contrast. Same mother and father, hatched the same day. But his comb is much bigger and more pink. His stance is more roo-like, and he has a pointy upright tail.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Interesting about the beak. The hen who laid the egg has the same long beak. I didn't know I could trim it. Are there drawbacks or problems related to a hooked beak?

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, a hooked beak can intefer with drinking and eating. It is also prone to being cracked, which can harm the beak. And, a sharp, long beak can cause damage to other chickens more so than a trimmed beak.

8. BroosterSpringsteen

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    Ah ok. I had no idea. I'll trim both of their beaks. Thanks for the info!

I'll post some updated pics of the white EE in a few more weeks. I'm really hoping for a pullet. It's such a pretty white bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by