8 week old guineas fighting?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by txchickie, Sep 30, 2009.

1. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I just happened to be outside a few minutes ago and 2 of my 8 week old guineas were fighting like crazy. Both bloodied, stabbing with their feet, grabbing and ripping at waddles and faces with their beaks, etc... [​IMG] What the heck?
    Their run is plenty big enough, 12x6, there are only 4 in there and they are still just babies [​IMG] The other 2 were flopping and squawking like crazy, but not a part of the fighting. I've never had them do that before.
    I caught both fighters and they're each in their own dog kennel until they calm down, but they can't stay like that for long and I don't have any other options for them. Can I put them back later tonight, like after dark? The bleeding should be stopped by then. Should I spray them with some wound spray stuff (don't know what it's called)?
    I hate to turn them out to free range for good just yet...my other guineas are full grown and I'm afraid they'd get picked on.

2. txchickie

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Just an update...I did put them back in the pen together after dark last night. So far so good, but the sun is not quite up yet [​IMG]

The little helmet headed turds had better behave today! [​IMG][​IMG]

3. TedsFarms

TedsFarms Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    What is the update? Any good?

I have (46) 14 week olds in a 20x20x12 covered pen, and normally only one will pick on the others.

4. txchickie

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Yep, they're all just fine now [​IMG] It was BAD, too. But so far just that one isolated fight.

They are wierd little things [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by