8 week old Hamburg - Rooster???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Dornes, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Dornes

Dornes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    South Western WI
    I think I have rooster. I had three of these in my shipment and two didn't make it past the second day after arrival (my luck those were probably the hens...) I am hoping that maybe hamburgs just look like this, but not getting too high up on my hopes. This little one has super bright red comb and wattles. Anyone? Poor Mabel is going to have to be called Marv... lol - thanks in advance! Much appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Moose The Ameraucana

Moose The Ameraucana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Seattle
    He looks younger than 8 weeks probably a roo [​IMG] by the red comb as well [​IMG]

3. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I think Roo also.

4. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    I think you might have a roo. My girls didn't start to show pink until 18 weeks or so, and are just now getting ready to lay at almost 22 weeks.

5. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    it's a pretty bird [​IMG]

6. khatar

khatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Looks like a roo to me, he'll be beautiful. His comb is very large for his age. You can also tell he has longer, stronger legs.

7. classicsredone

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    This may help a little. At 8 weeks her wattles were slightly pink but hadn't grown, and though you can't see it well, the comb was yellow still.

[​IMG]
    IMG_8915 by JJordanPhotography, on Flickr

8. Dornes

Dornes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    South Western WI
    Go figure.... Thanks you all for your help. He is 8 weeks (well he will be 8 weeks on Sunday... so close.)

Too bad he is gorgeous - he is going to have to be soup - I really don't care to have a rooster around... [​IMG]

9. khatar

khatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    SOUP??!! [​IMG] [​IMG] I would never choose that as a first option, first try to find a good home for him. Sell him on craigslists or give him to friend.[​IMG]

10. classicsredone

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    There might be some 4h kids that would like a new rooster, or adult breeders. He's a gorgeous bird, and Hamburgs aren't easy to find unless you get a bunch from a hatchery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by