1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

8 week old hen hurt herself this morning

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BeachChics, Jul 20, 2008.

1. BeachChics

BeachChics Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2008
    Help. She is my dd's favorite of course.

I went out this morning to sit with the girls and give them treats. Goldie ran at full speed this across the yard and under their favorite tree. Then she started flapping like mad. I went to see what was going on and she was lying on her back with her eyes closed. I though she had broken her neck.

That was a few hours ago. She is up and in a box to keep her still. She can lift her head, but won't stand up for long. She keeps her head turned to the left side and her left wing is drooping down.

I think she must have gotten hung up on a low branch as she was running. What can I do for / with her? I have been giving her drops of water. She is mostly resting, but starts randomly flapping about.

2. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    This is what ya do.........I am chicken sitting right now for an injured 2 mo. old rir.

[​IMG]

3. BeachChics

Jun 27, 2008
    Is that chicken tied to the stool or is that just the picture?

4. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    It's tied..........chicken in traction [​IMG]

5. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Check out my post " Need Advice.........Should I put this pullet down " Or this one " I took my chicken shopping today "

Good Luck

6. BeachChics

Jun 27, 2008
    Okay - I have never imagined that. What kind of injury requires chicken traction?

7. BeachChics

Jun 27, 2008
    Okay - now I am all caught up on the chicken traction. Thanks.

Poor baby.

8. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    You're welcome...........pls let us know how she is doing.

9. BeachChics

Jun 27, 2008
    Update -
    She is able to stand better now and holds her neck straighter. But she squawks when she tries to stretch it out. I am definitely afraid she injured her neck. She is taking some water by dropper and is eating some grapes, but she wipes her mouth when I give her water so I don't know if she is actually drinking it. She seems to be feeling better.

How much water should I make sure she gets during the day and how often should I give it to her?

Could these silly birds break there own necks running into a tree branch? That isn't possible, right?

10. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

It's possible...anything is..
    She might've pulled a muscle or something or pinched a nerve...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by