8 week old Leghorns, are they both roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kat4011, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Kat4011

Kat4011 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    I bought 6 chickens, of my of RIR is definitely a roo and I'm ok with that, but my two leghorns look more like the roo than the other pullets and I really don't want 3 roosters! Is that tail way to long to be a pullet, or do leghorns have long tails? I don't really see PINK in their combs, but they still may be to young for that. (yes, they are dirty, they are loving the dirt and their dust baths in this warm weather!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    They both look like pullets. Leghorns get comb development much earlier than other breeds. [​IMG]

3. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    They are both girls. If they were boys at that age they would have nearly full size combs and wattles. Leghorns mature early.

4. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    X3 I thought the same thing with my leghorns, and time proved me wrong. Both pullets!!

5. Kat4011

Kat4011 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Weeeee! I'm so happy to hear that!

Their personality is much different than my other girls. Their the first to see whats going on, the first to fight with each other, the first to try and grab whatever it is that seems to be of interest, the first to fly and roost but also the first to run away! They do fight with each other a lot, nothing bad, just some raised feathers and I thought it may be a rooster dominance thing, but I guess hens have a pecking order too!

6. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    definite girls. My leghorns had huge combs at just a few weeks old, but no redness at all until 14+ weeks.

7. orpingtonbabies

orpingtonbabies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    GIRLS!!! [​IMG]

8. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    I have a couple of 5 week old leghorn roos with BIG combs and wattles. Yours look like pretty girls [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by