8 week old Pekín seizure!

Muddyducks

Hatching
May 17, 2021
I need help figuring out if my duck is having seizures and what it means. Yesterday the ducks started screaming and I ran to find my 8 week old Peking on her back for no apparent reason. I gave her some electrolytes and kept an eye on her. She seemed fine.
this morning I found her covered in blood and at least one wing seems broken, maybe both. She overnights with the 5 other girls from her group. They all get along very well no sign of blood on anyone but the injured one. There is nothing in their pen that she could have gotten injured on.
She was so covered in blood I sterilized a tub and washed her in warm water and held her in a towel in a warm place to help her dry. I flushed her wounds with a poultry wound wash. I used a poultry anti microbial agent and finished with some Rooster Booster purple goop to keep her from biting herself further. She is not herself.
After her treatment, I gave her more electrolytes and some dried worms. She ate and drank but it took some coaxing. She is now next to her “ sisters” but separated. Just now she backed up and was doing some weird movements which made me think she may be having some kind of seizure.
My vet doesn’t care for farm animals and is unsure of who does in my area. I’m not sure what to do next other than watch her and try to treat her wounds. Also, those broken wings, I have no idea if I should trim those feathers so they aren’t catching on things since her wing tips are both traumatized.
Last thought, she was huge when I got her. I called her Max because she was growing so quickly I thought she had a tumor but it was just her chest growing so quickly. At 6 weeks she was bigger than all of my adult ducks. Was thinking this may have something to do with her having seizures if that’s what’s happening.
Any advice is desperately welcomed!

Can you share some pictures? What was bleeding? Backing up is common in poultry trying to "escape" something uncomfortable or painful. Ducks can have problems if not fed a proper diet. What are you feeding them?

I will tag @Isaac 0 . They may be able to help more.

Back
Top Bottom