8 week old polish chick suddenly has week curled up feet

joydix

Songster
7 Years
Mar 20, 2015
West Sonoma County
found the baby in pen curled in ball. Taped the one bad foot, brought in and giving electrolytes, poly vi sol no iron, chick start and meal worms. Eats and drinks with enthusiasm, but this am other foot weak and starting to curl!!! What could be happening???? Chicken vet not avail til Monday. Kind of fluffed up, shaking her head quite a bit. Never seen this! Suggestions? Thanks so much!!!

Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) deficiency can cause curled toes, and walking on hocks or knees. You can use the baby vitamins, chick vitamins with electrolytes, or crush a human B complex tablet on foor or dissolve in water. Hopefully, it will improve in a few days. Here is some reading about curled toes and riboflavin deficiency:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/217/vitamin-b2-deficiency/
Thanks for replies. She was put on infant vitamins right away. It has that and B6 12 as well. But why just 1 chick out of 6. So odd

Yeah I have ine of 60 that can't seem to use legs. Tried everything. If the vitamin b doesn't work I'll have to cull. First time having to so hoping she stands up soon!

This same thing is happening to my polish cross at 15 weeks old. Starting electrolytes and B12. Is this genetic or common in Polish?

This same thing is happening to my polish cross at 15 weeks old. Starting electrolytes and B12. Is this genetic or common in Polish?
B12 is not what you need. B2 riboflavin is needed. You would find that in B complex, which contains all B vitamins. B12 is just B12. Is the the curling under of toes in one or both feet? Does she also sit or walk on her hocks? If the curled toes is only in one foot, that could be from an injury or sometimes a symptom of Mareks disease. Was she vaccinated?

B12 is not what you need. B2 riboflavin is needed. You would find that in B complex, which contains all B vitamins. B12 is just B12. Is the the curling under of toes in one or both feet? Does she also sit or walk on her hocks? If the curled toes is only in one foot, that could be from an injury or sometimes a symptom of Mareks disease. Was she vaccinated?
Yes try baby multi vit with B vitamin but NO iron. You can get both. I read somewhere. It to give them one with iron. At 15 weeks tho….maybe mareks. Even if vaxed. They miss sometimes at hatcheries.

Back
Top Bottom