8 week old polish chick suddenly has week curled up feet

joydix

Songster
5 Years
Mar 20, 2015
West Sonoma County
found the baby in pen curled in ball. Taped the one bad foot, brought in and giving electrolytes, poly vi sol no iron, chick start and meal worms. Eats and drinks with enthusiasm, but this am other foot weak and starting to curl!!! What could be happening???? Chicken vet not avail til Monday. Kind of fluffed up, shaking her head quite a bit. Never seen this! Suggestions? Thanks so much!!!

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio

joydix

Songster
5 Years
Mar 20, 2015
West Sonoma County
Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) deficiency can cause curled toes, and walking on hocks or knees. You can use the baby vitamins, chick vitamins with electrolytes, or crush a human B complex tablet on foor or dissolve in water. Hopefully, it will improve in a few days. Here is some reading about curled toes and riboflavin deficiency:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/217/vitamin-b2-deficiency/
Thanks for replies. She was put on infant vitamins right away. It has that and B6 12 as well. But why just 1 chick out of 6. So odd

yoopergirl1211

Songster
Dec 12, 2016
Erie PA
Yeah I have ine of 60 that can't seem to use legs. Tried everything. If the vitamin b doesn't work I'll have to cull. First time having to so hoping she stands up soon!

joydix

Songster
5 Years
Mar 20, 2015
West Sonoma County
well i am posting for a friend and she may wind up culling if it is not a little better tomorrow. it was the runt she said....

Top Bottom