8 week old Polish missing a toenail..Can she still be showed? (Pics)

dcsandgren

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 2, 2010
Medford, OR
I am not sure if I posted this in the right place, I'm not sure where to post it. I just recently purchased 4 Polish chickens and
I was wanting to show one at the fair (it will be my first time.) My favorite 8 week old Buff Laced Polish chicken is missing a toenail...
Is this normal? It looks like she is deformed, I don't think it's just missing and I think it won't grow back. Would this get her disqualified
if I entered her in a show? I am thinking I am not going to enter her, but she is the calmest and has good colors so far. What do you think?

IMG_4273.jpg

IMG_4270.jpg

BTW I don't care all that much that she is missing a toenail, I'll still keep & love her I am just bummed she might not be able to show because of a toenail.

I don't see anything in my book that says anything about toenails, just says "correct number of toes". You may lose a couple of points for it, but I would think as long as she has the correct number of toes for her breed and no extras that a missing toenail isn't grounds for a DQ

ETA: She's very pretty BTW!

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank you! I'll keep this in mind. Thanks, she is one of the ones with the most Buff color on her which is why I thought she'd do well in a show.

There is a one point deduction for a missing toenail. If that is her normal wing carriage in the first picture she can be DQed for a slipped wing. Tom

What exactly is a "Slipped wing"? I took a look at her wings and I noticed that she will pull them in and it will be normal,
then they will kind of droop. Is it something that hurts her? I can't really tell if she has a slipped wing or not.. I don't know what it is.

What exactly is a "Slipped wing"? I took a look at her wings and I noticed that she will pull them in and it will be normal,
then they will kind of droop. Is it something that hurts her? I can't really tell if she has a slipped wing or not.. I don't know what it is.

I showed my bird, same one, twice, without a toenail and she ended up taking places in many events. The reason it was asked whether or not your bird was from a hatchery is because her lacing is very poor. Hatchery Buffed Laced Polish typically look like this. Feel free to show her and enjoy it! But bare in mind that poor lacing is a major fault. As for the wing, I cannot say. I'm assuming based on the picture that she was a little tired and typsy.

Back
Top Bottom