8 week old RIR - acting strange

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kittykat2003uk, Sep 21, 2011.

1. kittykat2003uk

kittykat2003uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Gloucester, UK
    I hvae a 8 week old RIR that is acting strange. Had to explain but i will try: She seems dazed, keeps moving her head as it she is following something floating around infront of her. Her eyes are alittle like pulled back in her head. When she goes to eat and drink it takes her a few atemps to get the food and water as she throws her head out too far. She is healthy otherwise just seems abit "special needs" mentally if that make sense. She has been doing this for about 4 weeks now.

Anyone got any ideas?

2. angie3881

angie3881 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:We have a leghorn who always acted strange. Running into things... getting lost outside... constantly having to rescue her from something. I, like you, thought she was a "special needs" chicken. She never had ANY fear of us and loves my daughter so much. After several months of wondering what was wrong with her... we figured out she was blind! She would overshoot her feed and water and was just plain clumsy. Not sure why it took us so long to figure out what was wrong with her, but it sure explained a lot when we did. If you wave your hand in her face and she doesn't respond, this could be your answer. [​IMG]

3. angie3881

angie3881 Chillin' With My Peeps

She was also VERY shy and seemed top stay in the corner a lot. We thought the others picked on her and she just didn't want to come out...

4. kittykat2003uk

Jun 12, 2011
    Gloucester, UK
    i think you maybe right!. She doesnt really keep her head still long enough to be able to wave your hand in front of her too much thou. This would explain as well why she freaks out when you pick her up.

What about the eyes being like pulled back in her head?. They are slightly glazed white too. How come this has only started over a few weeks rather then since birth?. She was hatched by us and has been with us since birth but she was just like the rest.

5. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to try some Sav A Chick or some other type of vitamin supplement. Sometimes they have deficiencies that can show up in strange weakness or neurological symptoms and strange positioning of the eyes and head. Anyway, it won't hurt and it will eliminate that angle.

6. kittykat2003uk

Jun 12, 2011
    Gloucester, UK
    I will try and do a short video of her later you will be able to see then [​IMG]

7. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    Oh, you're from the U.K. so you might not have Sav A Chick there but maybe you can find something else. We also have an over the counter liquid baby vitimin (it's a multivitamin for human babies!) here we always recommend too just make sure it doesn't have Iron in it. Best bet is to try and get alot of feedback. Hopefully I'll get back to watch your video!!! It's past my bedtime here!!!

8. kittykat2003uk

Jun 12, 2011
    Gloucester, UK
    Here is a video of the little gurl

[​IMG]

Think she maybe blind now but could there be anything else wrong ?

9. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    Boy, she does look blind. She looks like she could be treated for lice and mites. I notice the tail down so you might want to try worming. Also, get some type of supplement for her. Is she on some type of baby chick food still? It might be a good idea.

10. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    There are several diseases listed here that cause blindness but I'm thinking it's nutritional:

"Nutrional Deficiencies
    Certain vitamin deficiencies, such as vitamin A and vitamin E, can result in damage to the eye. Vitamin A is necessary for the production of visual pigment of the retina and for maintenance of the lining of the tear ducts. Vitamin E is necessary for maintenance of the lens protein in the developing embryo. Vitamin E is passed from the breeder hen to the egg. If the breeder is receiving inadequate vitamin E in the diet, the embryo will suffer from a vitamin E deficiency and possible blindness. Vitamin deficiencies are rare when commercial poultry feeds are used. "

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps031

You may consider all the possibilities if other symptoms emerge.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by