8 week old Roo with sluggish Eyelid/sticky eyelid!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by yay-for-chickens!, Apr 11, 2009.

1. yay-for-chickens!

yay-for-chickens! Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    Corvallis
    Well, I have an 8 week old Rhode Island Red rooster named blondie and when I went out into the coop this morning to open it up and let everyone out I picked him up and his right eyelid was closed...

There was no "goup" or puss surrounding it, he doesn't have snot around his nostrils crusted or runny. It seemed like he just wanted to keep his right eye closed. I put him down and he sort of didn't mind or seem to mind opening it when he was walking around. He kept it closed a little here and there....He's with 3 other hens who I looked at and none are having eye trouble. He's on medicated feed starter/grower feed and I have the 4 of them in a 30 x 15-20 ft run. They have pine shavings for bedding and I do put a little ACV in there water. It was a little cold out this morning.

I'm wondering if he might've just had something in his eye and it was irritated or if he's getting sick.. I tried to look at his right eye and it doesn't look cloudy or anything...Is there something I should be looking for?

Thanks

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

He may have a little sawdust in his eye, hard to say- you are the best observer. If it doesn't clear and if he will allow it you can use a Q-Tip gently to moisten the outside of the lid, but do not pry around in there. The idea is to flush the lid hoping he blinks, and let the object wash out. Will give you a closer look too. If he does develop irritation you will have to decide where this is going. He could be separated to make it easier for you to observe him and to treat him if you think it necessary. Hoping it is not the start of anything contagious. Best of luck...and please let us know how he is doing. [​IMG]

3. yay-for-chickens!

yay-for-chickens! Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    Corvallis
    Is it probably best to separate him from the 3 girls? How contagious are eye problems among chickens?

The other question is what should I flush it out with? I have some eye drops "Naphcon A , eye allergy relief" lying around or should I just get some saline eye drops to do this?

Thanks,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by