8 week old Silkie already has a comb & wattles????

CK Chickadilly

Songster
11 Years
Sep 11, 2008
West Michigan
Alright you Silkie experts.....needing some help again....I thought it was hard to sex Silkies.

This little guy is a 8 week old Cuckoo Silkie & his comb & wattles are already a bright red. Is it just cause he is a cuckoo Silkie that it is how I can tell aready he is a little roo? He is so cute!
smile.png

I thought normally it was about 6 months that you could finally sex a Silkie????
idunno.gif

If you know what you are doing then yes you can sex most silkies at just a month old.
Sometimes I am lucky and sex them as young as a week.

But I will say for sure silkies are very hard to sex.
And you will always get birds that will give you a switch lol.

Maybe you could add a picture?

If they are bright red then he most likely is a roo, but they should be a mulberry color. I have a silkie roo, a white one, and his comb and wattles got big really fast. I could tell he was a roo at 6 WEEKS! So, it's not unheard of; or at least, you're not the only one
wink.png

Yeah, Silkie roos have the mulberry combs but I was told that the Cuckoos have the red combs. Well, then hopefully this is the only roo I got!
smile.png
The rest are hens? .... I hope!

I have a 5 week old cuckoo silkie that has a bright pink/red comb. I'm
glad that you posted this here, I was wondering if something was
wrong with him.

I'm pretty sure his comb should still be mullberry, you should look more into that before breeding him (if quality matters to you)

It seems as though when I ordered these eggs someone on the BYC told me that the Cuckoo Silkies combs would be red. I would prefer it to be mulberry.... oh well
idunno.gif

I can't remember who it was though.....UGH! Any way if anyone knows, chime in please!
big_smile.png

cuckoo's are a new color, and ive heard that it is very hard to get a cuckoo silkie with a mulberry comb. Ive also heard the same with buffs, but it isnt as hard to get a mulberry comb as with cuckoos.
Here is some info about cuckoo silkies. The 3 main problems with cuckoo silkies are the comb color, comb shape, and beak color. http://powderpuffsilkies.tripod.com/id11.html Some people breed the cuckoo silkies back to a black silkie to try to change the comb color back to black.

Last edited:
I was just looking at the Powder Pff Silkie website last night, someone else posted it. Thanks!

What is the comb shape & beak color supposed to be?
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom