8 week old silkies boys or girls *PICS*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by countrygirl911, Jul 14, 2011.

1. countrygirl911

countrygirl911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    i know it is probably to early to really tell i have 2 8 weeks old silkies i had 3 until we had a snake attack i hope we can figure out if we have boys or girls any help would be greatly appreciated i will also post a few of my 4 week old silkies that a friend gave me i hope to get at least some hens.

7 week old silkie chick 1 it has a little red in the comb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7 week old silkie chick 2 it has no red in its comb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pictures of them together the lighter one is chick one and the darker one is chick 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here is 4 week old chick 1

[​IMG]

4 week old chick 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 week old chick 3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

any help would be greatly appreciated

2. chickenbuttsowhat

chickenbuttsowhat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    i think first chick 7 week old chick is a roo and the 2nd a hen not sure about the younger ones tho hope i helped a lil [​IMG]

3. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

Quote:well it looks like me the older 2s are roos, the younger ones are to young yet [​IMG] sorry [​IMG]

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    The older ones look like boys and the younger ones look like girls, BUT it is so hard to tell with silkies. a good guess is about all one can do. I wouldnt go and get rid of any of them till you know.

5. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    I agree witht he two previous posters. First two older silkies look like roos.

Do any of them have the vaulted skull? I've noticed alot of times more of my hens have the vaulted skull. Very cute whatever sex they are.

6. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

the 4 week olds - way too early - no way to tell.

the 7 week olds - Splash (#1) looks like a pullet to me - the crest looks wet in the pics and I don't see any actual streamers. The comb is smaller and petite like I typically see on pullets. #2 (blue) is definately a roo, I think I see streamers going on, also that frankenstein upright teenage topknot I typically see in boys - its the comb that really says boy to me though, its wide and flat bubbly gum wad looking - typical of cockerals.

7. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    This is purely a guess a such young ages.

1st-Cockerel
    2nd- possibly a pullet, just by looking at her tail feathers, they seem more like a pullets to me
    3rd-cockerel, judging by the split in it's crest
    4th- pullet, has no split in its crest

Really they are way too young to determine sex, they always trick you [​IMG] They are sneaky and just when you think you have it figured out, they change again

8. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by