1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

8 week old silkies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rey82808, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Rey82808

Rey82808 New Egg

Jan 12, 2016
    Miami
    So i have 4 -8 week old silkies . I just put them in the coop this afternoon with a 1yo silkie hen. They have always been free roaming together and the hen doesn't even pay attention to the chicks. My question is that the lows at night are in the upper 40s do you think they will be ok inside the nesting area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I'm very cautious with Silkies and low temps. However, as long as they have a coop to get out of the wind and rain they should be okay. Although, the worry-wort that I am, I'd be checking on them during the night.

3. Rey82808

Rey82808 New Egg

Jan 12, 2016
    Miami
    its miami the wind is non and no rain . This is their coop[​IMG] Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    They should be fine in that-just make sure you have adequate ventilation.

5. Traceaskew

Traceaskew Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2015
    Maryland
    I have 3, 7 week old silkies and live in MD. It's been into the teens some nights and they were absolutely fine. I'm sure yours will be fine in the 40s! I just make sure they have thick bedding, plenty of snacks and water that's not frozen (not an issue for you) and my coop is well ventilated but not drafty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by