1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

8 week old Speckled Sussex gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by alang, Aug 1, 2015.

1. alang

alang Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    Mapleville RI
    [​IMG]
    New to posting so I hope the picture posts. Sorry its blurry. Happy to read any educated guesses.

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    At 8 weeks old, and that much of a comb, I suspect a cockerel, BUT a full bodied picture would be better.

3. alang

Mar 31, 2015
    Mapleville RI
    That's what I was afraid everyone would say. He's too friendly so I don't really have a shot of its tail. Here's all I have loaded on my phone[​IMG]

4. alang

Mar 31, 2015
    Mapleville RI
    [​IMG]
    Here is a 10 week old updated photo. Any thoughts? I still am torn but hoping pullet. No aggressive behavior yet

5. alang

Mar 31, 2015
    Mapleville RI
    [​IMG]
    And a body shot finally

6. alang

Mar 31, 2015
    Mapleville RI
    [​IMG]
    And with my BO rooster who is same age. Unfortunately I have no other SS to compare

7. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    The comb is pink but by no means red. I vote pullet for now.

8. newchick1358

newchick1358 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2015
    [​IMG]
    I'm no expert but this was one of my pullets chicks that turned out not to be a pullet I had two. He is only 5 weeks old in this pic. the other one had less of a comb but his tail feathers where point. your chick dose not seem to have that and it's comb looks smaller then mine. but again I'm no expert. when I asked for help sexing him they asked me for a profile picture I think that could help.

9. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I'm on the fence. I am not familiar with the breed so take that with a grain of salt. Good luck. My rooster, who is over a year is not aggressive at all, so don't put too much thought into that. Good luck. Thanks for the updated photos.

10. alang

Mar 31, 2015
    Mapleville RI
    I will try to get another profile shot. Newchick, what age did you discover your pullets were cockerels?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by