8 week old Speckled Sussex - please say she's a hen.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JustDawn, Aug 25, 2010.

1. JustDawn

JustDawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2009
    Alpharetta Ga
    OK everyone. This is Alice, my sweet 8 week old speckled sussex. She feathered out much slower than the other chicks her age. They were different breeds so I coughed it up to that. BUT... with peeps telling me that my 3 week old speckled sussex who feathered out much slower than the others is a little boy I wanted to see what you thought of Alice. I hope I don't have to change her name!!!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Soaring Chicks

Soaring Chicks Soaring Hawks Farm

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    looks like a hen to me.

3. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    yup, hen![​IMG]

4. JustDawn

Dec 7, 2009
    Alpharetta Ga
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! My neighbors would not tolerate a rooster.... I so want to move to a farm!

5. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Looks like a pullet to me but it's still pretty early to tell. I think Speckled Sussex males are slower to show signs of being a roo than other newer breeds. If it does turn out to be a roo, cut the guy some slack and give him a chance. Speckled Sussex Roos are not nearly as loud or obnoxious as most other breeds. I also personally think they are really beautiful and one of my all time favorite breeds.

Good luck to you! I have my fingers crossed that you have a pullet!!!

6. cackleberrylinda

cackleberrylinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Arlington
    I am so happy to hear good reports on the Speckled Roosters. I have just this week had one my two young Speckles start a good try at crowing. I was hoping it had a larger comb just cuz.... It's the only rooster in my young birds. They were hatched in May. I was thinking he would be my last choice of a rooster breed but if he will be a nice guy, I will keep him. I had found a home for him, but perhaps, he will stay here.

7. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:You're going to love them and like Mille Flur bantams just get prettier with age. You will be glad you have a roo and a hen so you can hatch more of them out. They are very intelligent/curious LOL not sure which but they really like to hang out around your feet. I think they are addictive and am looking to find some Light Sussex to see if they share the same personality traits.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    "She's a hen!"

9. JustDawn

Dec 7, 2009
    Alpharetta Ga
    Thanks all. I was so worried with everything I've been reading.... She has lots of white on her chest. Her dark feathers are shiny green in the light. She developed so slowly. She has spur bumps. Her comb is turing pink at 8 weeks of age. And I panicked cause I didn't want to get in trouble.

I wouldn't mind having a roo at all... I would LOVE to have a roo (or more - I now have 18 hens). It's the neighbors. If they complain, my chickens go bye bye so got to keep everyone happy! So glad Alice gets to stay. She's such a sweet girl!!!

Thanks so much, as always [​IMG]

DAWN

10. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    Quote:Me too!! I hate neighbors, I wish that I could move to a farm and have lots of goats (bucks too) and roosters!

Enjoy your SS hen!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by