8 week old suddenly died??

onyx2011

Chirping
Mar 12, 2018
Im really distressed to be honest. Ive never had a chick die on me, and I had no idea that a chick so old could suddenly die?!

I need to know why she did though, so her three flockmates can be protected. Yesterday she was a bit sleepy, but i just chalked it up to plain old tired since all the chicks were playing for a while. They all had food and water, and to make matters even more confusing, she was the dominant chick? Rigor set in by the time i checked them (2:00 afternoon, since i was at a friends for a movie sleepover) and they were fine when i checked on them at 6:00 pm when i left for my friends. So she must have died in the early hours of the morning? I have no clue how she died. Her flockmates are behaving normally and are sticking close together. It was hot yesterday, the chicks were panting, but they had water and they dont even have all their feathers? Does anyone have an idea how she died? She was about 7 or 8 weeks old, and the chicks dont get to free range,i supervise them when they do get to go outside.

93 degrees, and their enclosure is inside my pole barn atm. I was waiting until they got all their head feathers before i worry about getting them outside. So they werent in direct sunlight. The barn was open all day, and my mom turned on their heat lamp at 10:00 when she shut the barn since night time temperatures have been dropping and she was worried. The chick was really stiff, so I think she died early this morning, at like 4 or 5? It's cooler today and the humidity is better, so im just baffled.

Obviously we can't say for sure but given the circumstances heat is looking like the culprit. Very sorry for your loss! Keep an eye on the other chicks to be sure there's no other issues popping up (in case it's not heat but perhaps something else, or something in combination with the heat weakening her) and I'd keep that heat lamp off, probably permanently. Unless you're in an abnormally cold climate, like arctic type conditions, or chickens should not need a supplemental heat source past the first few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom