8 week old with paralysis? PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JaymeK, Jul 29, 2010.

1. JaymeK

JaymeK Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    MI
    I have a 8 week old BSL who has been healthy, until last week. I noticed first that she was dragging her right leg. She would topple over and couldn't seem to balance. At first I thought she had an injury. Cannot feel any breaks in that leg and she doesn't act like it hurts (not that I would know how the chick would act if it hurt?). Then she pretty much stopped walking all together and now she lays with both of her legs behind her, but she was able to scoot to her food and water. Now she pretty much just stays in the same position and cannot scoot at all. I know I waited probably longer than I should have to intervene and try to help but I kinda hoped at first she had a sprain or something. She is still very alert and if I put food and water in front of her she has a very healthy appetite. She does not have a messy backside like she has diahrea or anything. I went to the local feed store and they called a hatchery who thinks she might have a vitamin deficiency? I bought some vitamins for her water and bought a 23% medicated feed instead of her 20% that she had been getting. I have separated her from the flock and brought her inside to keep a closer eye on her. None of my other birds have any symptoms whatsoever. But does anyone else have any better guesses as to what is going on or what else I can be doing? Any input is greatly appreciated!

2. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

IF it's a vitamin deficiency and not Marek's disease, then you can try giving her some Vitamin E. Both problems can present themselves with the symptoms you're describing.

3. JaymeK

Jun 7, 2010
    MI
    I'm hoping it isn't Marek's. She isn't having any trouble breathing or anything. I just wish there is something else I could do for her. I gave her the water that has vitamins in it and she has been drinking it. I don't know how long before I should expect to see improvement? I figure at least a day or two.

4. JaymeK

Jun 7, 2010
    MI
    Her leg seems to be frozen in the position behind her? I tried to pick her up and adjust her with her legs under her and she just squawks and flaps around. Can someone please help me? I don't know what to do.

5. MKKimmen

MKKimmen Out Of The Brooder

Just wondering how your sick Chick is doing?? Hope she's doing better!

6. Afrochicken

Afrochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Toms River, NJ
    Probolly Mareks. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by