8 week olds

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 12babychickens, Feb 18, 2013.

1. 12babychickens

12babychickens New Egg

Jan 15, 2013
    Hi everyone. I have 12 chickens, all about 8 weeks old and supposedly all bantams. Some have started crowing and acting rather rooster like. Any clues on what breed and gender these obliging ones are...

2. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Did you mean to include pictures? And 8 weeks old is very young to be crowing already? I believe mine didn't start crowing until they were 4-5 months old

3. 12babychickens

12babychickens New Egg

Jan 15, 2013
    I did mean to include pictures! It said it had uploaded them but obviously not. Will try again. I wasn't expecting any crowing for another couple of months but it is a textbook crow around 4:30am!

4. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree, pictures would be very helpful! And if there's crowing, there's a cockerel. Some of mine started at 9 weeks, so it's definitely possible.

5. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    I have had bantams that started crowing at 3-4 weeks so it is definitely possible

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    At this age, whoever is crowing is a rooster. Should be apparent by a larger, redder comb.

7. 12babychickens

12babychickens New Egg

Jan 15, 2013
    Hi guys, thanks for the help so far. I've had another go at uploading some photos!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

WOW look at those combs! All are bantams. 2 and 3 are definitely cockerels, and beautiful ones at that. 1 and 4 look like pullets to me. Good looking chickens, do you know their breeds?

9. 12babychickens

12babychickens New Egg

Jan 15, 2013
    I have no idea what breeds they are! The lady I got them from as day olds just had everyone mixed together in the incubator. Was hoping somebody on here might know!

10. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Well they are bantams, and it does look like you have your share of boys in there. No big deal though. You can rehome the roos, or use them as an excuse to need more hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by