8 week pullet death - no symptoms - advice please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stefshens, Nov 4, 2014.

1. stefshens

stefshens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2014
    Came home yesterday to find 8 week old crested cream legbar pullet dead. She has been with two crested cream legbar roosters and a black isbar hen inside garage in dog crate. I have had them with my other flock a few times, but they are two months younger and they were getting picked on. She had no symptoms of anything. Fine the evening before and found her suddenly in cage. Should I have necrospy done?

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Sorry for your loss [​IMG] - it's entirely up to you about the necropsy. Just about any chicken person will tell you that hens drop dead for no apparent reason. I have had chickens for about 5 years and every batch of chicks that I add, I can pretty much guarantee at least one death. Nature has a way of weeding out the weaklings......

3. stefshens

Sep 17, 2014
    Thanks!

I think I was worried about her potentially having something that I was unaware of, but the other 3 (2 males and 1 female that were with her) are fine, but she was acting fine as well. I just didn't want to introduce something into my other chicks in case more than she had it.

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

At that age and having been out with your older birds my first suspicion would have been coccidiosis. Especially in a bird that has been fine up to this point. But you will usually see lethargy, not wanting to eat/drink, sometimes blood in the stool or diarrhea. Just keep a close eye on the others.

5. stefshens

Sep 17, 2014
    Thanks for the input...So far no other symptoms. They are still receiving medicated feed and I have not noticed any of those symptoms. Thinking I may opt for the necrospy just to make sure it is not something the others could get. I do not want to infect the others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by