8 weeks chicks cry after i leave them !?! What do i do ?!?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by EasterEggersRULE, Dec 13, 2010.

1. EasterEggersRULE

EasterEggersRULE Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    South Texas
    I just got my two EEs and they keep crying as soon as i leave them they are in my room for the night since we have racoons patroling our yard and they will not stop peeping and i am trying to sleep ! I covered them and the only light is from the TV as i am watching my food network before bed. Is there any way to get them to be quite while i build my coop ??

Thanks and sorry i am new and i have no idea if i posted this in the right place or not !! Please let me know as soon as possible if you have a way to quite them.

2. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Welome to BYC!
    My chicks did the same thing. It came down to the fact they wanted there light on and did not want to be in the dark. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    It might be because they are cold and thats why they start to chirp when the light gets turned of. It is amazing how much heat chicks want. Could you put them in a room where they an have a light on during the night?

You did post in the right place [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  3. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Make sure they are warm enough, and cover them like you have been.

I found if I clapped my hands, then rubbed them really fast together to warm up my palms, and picked up a chick--the chick would melt and snuggle in for the night. After a few minutes you can put them back in the brooder and they wil zonk out.

Other than that....some chicks are just noisy.

4. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    What bedding do you have down? Also what breed(s) are they?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  5. EasterEggersRULE

EasterEggersRULE Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    South Texas
    Thanks for the replies they have wood shavings in there pen and i covered them with a blanket and i keep my room about 75-76 at night so the chicks stay warm and in order to sleep last night i stuck them on my bed until they feel asleep and then i stuck them in there pen they still cried but not as long as i expected. And they have a night light right by there pen so i do not think its a darkness issue. I really hope they will let me sleep tonight but if they don't oh well i will just camp out with the dog on the couch. I guess I will have a pair of house chickens now as the hen is sitting on my desk as I type this and looking very cute in her diaper. Oh in case i did not mention they are Easter Eggers there father was a white rumpless true Americana that bred some barred rock hens so i guess i still call them EE's right ?

6. LivinNewDreamInND

LivinNewDreamInND Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    75-76 degrees might be a little cool for them since there are only 2 chicks. Is there anyway you can get a 100w red or blue light bulb to put over their cage, at least 12-18 inches above the bedding? I used a red one with a reflector hood in my brooder and it worked great.

7. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    If they are peeping, they are cold.

8. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

yes I agree..they peep if they are cold and new chicks need at least 90F and also they do like the light on..I had to gradually turn the light off but I did that when they were much older...

9. kburen

kburen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    I would think that at 8 weeks 75 would be ok.....Mine are almost 5 weeks and are ok with 75, sometimes even seems as if it's too hot.

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I think some folks are not reading the title- the chicks are 8 weeks old. No heat lamp needed with the temps in the room being what they are. If it's quiet peeping, they're fine. If it's LOUD cheeping, something is bothering them.

The night light might be a problem. Or they could be too hot. Are you leaving the diapers on at night? OR.... they could be acting like normal 8 week chicks who are over stimulated at night by Food Network TV and a nightlight. Try changing the things and see if they settle down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by