8 weeks old chickens eaten rat poison :P

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AleRi8, Sep 22, 2012.

  1. AleRi8

    AleRi8 New Egg

    5
    0
    7
    Dec 5, 2011
    any advise ? i have given them alot of water then i have tiped them upside down then the poison comes poring out i would say they havnt eatten it long ago :p they had gotten out from a hole in fence and discovered the poison from next door :p giving a lot of water will dilute it ?

    any help will be much appreciated :p
     
  2. AnimalsComeFirst

    AnimalsComeFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

    1,885
    74
    173
    Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    I found this information on Poultry Matters, it sounds alot like what you might be looking for! Welcome to BYC, by the way! Praying for your birds!


    Symptoms of poisoning with an anticoagulant rodenticide:

    * Any signs of abnormal or prolonged bleeding
    * Could see bleeding around the nostrils
    * Depression
    * Laboured or noisy breathing (poisoned birds will frequently bleed into the lungs)
    * Possible bruising seen on the skin.

    Treatment (vet required):

    Minimise stress which will increase bleeding into the lungs.
    Give 2mg/kg water-soluble vitamin K, I.M. and 20mg/kg prednisolone succinate IM. Immediately place the bird in a dark environment heated to approximately 80 to 85 degrees F and do not check or disturb for at least two hours. Repeat treatment every four to eight hours until the bird is stable. Once the bird is stable, measure the time it takes for the blood to clot in a nonheparinized capillary tube. Continue supplementation by giving a multivitamin preparation that contains vitamin K in the drinking water.

    Note: In some cases the birds can be too stressed to attempt intravenous therapy.

    Summarised from: Harrison & Harrison (1986) Clinical Avian Medicine and Surgery.
     
  3. BuffOrpington88

    BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

    1,395
    150
    198
    Mar 20, 2012
    Warfarin is the most common ingredient for rat poisoning. This causes the blood to not clot, so if not treated the animal bleeds internally. Usually symptoms do not show up until 3 or 4 days after ingestion. They need vitamin K, and have to stay on it for a long time because the poison stays in their system for a long time. It would be great if you could bring them to a vet.
     
  4. AleRi8

    AleRi8 New Egg

    5
    0
    7
    Dec 5, 2011
    3 days has past all seem to be ok but on 2nd day there was about 4% blood on floor in shed :p but nothing today all clean how many days should go by for i to know that everything will be ok ?

    also thank guys :D
     
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by