8 weeks old - switch food now or wait?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by harbisgirl, May 26, 2012.

1. harbisgirl

harbisgirl Chirping

Oct 4, 2011
    N. Cal
    Hello all,

I have 6 two month old pullets. I am almost out of their chick feed and need to go pick up some new food. I was wondering if I should switch to Grower feed now or if I should stick with the chick feed?

2. Beckysbrood07

Beckysbrood07 Hatching

May 22, 2012
    I'm in the same boat. 2 Golden Campine and 2 RIR all almost 8 weeks old. What feed is next and when?
    I also have other questions
    do they need a feeder and water inside and outside their coop?

3. I have my 8 week olds on starter/grower 18%. And I brought the largest bag for my 8 chicks plan on them eating that till they are getting ready to lay.

As long as they can access the food at all times they only need the food and water in one place.

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  4. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Songster

Apr 22, 2012
    Southwest Virginia
    My Coop
    As long as the grower ration has similar protein and other contents to the chick starter, I don't think it really matters, though my experience is limited. I know that the important thing is not feeding layer feed until they actually begin to lay, since the calcium will mess up their systems.

Beckysbrood, it depends how much time they spend inside the coop. If it's only at night, then no, they don't need food and water since they're blind in the dark and go into a sort of coma when they're asleep. If they're inside even during the day (for predator reasons, etc.), then furnish feeder and waterer inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: