8 weeks old

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TreyClark281, Jul 4, 2007.

1. TreyClark281

TreyClark281 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    i have a 8 week old americuina(sp) or EE and i just got her yesterday along with 2 full grown hens. the little chick wont let me go anywhere she just cheeps cheeps cheeps !! i love her to death but she wont 'hang out' with the other birds, she is scared. [​IMG] but I'm afraid that if anyone hears her they'll find out about my chickens....
    i live in a subdivision.
    any ideas that would make her a little less detached of me??
    maybe a playmate?

2. joannamarie

joannamarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2007
    i have read posts on here to put up mirrors for single chicks so they think they have a chicky playmate. worth a try anyway, maybe the chick has recently been seperated from the mother hen or something

3. TreyClark281

TreyClark281 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    oh ok well i try to let it go with the older ones and it wont go and rght now im hand feeding it lol. i want to put it outside but it will stand by the door chirping and everyone is sleeping right now except my dad and he said that this one is about to go to the frying pan (just joking) but i dont want to get ride of it. ill try the mirror.

thanks.

4. joannamarie

joannamarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2007
    well it does sound to me that the chick is lonely pining for the mother hen or other chicks. do you know if the chick has just been seperated from either. i dont know if the mirror will work but i have read on post here that have suggested using them for incubated chicks that have only had one hatch out. some also suggested putting a teddy aswell as the mirror in there.
    but i would say if it doesnt work then the chick is just scared of all the new surroundings and new hens. good luck hope the mirror works.

5. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Trey you should post pictures of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by