8 weeks old

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stephanyk, Feb 6, 2017.

1. stephanyk

stephanyk Just Hatched

Feb 6, 2017
    Hi all,

So I have a flock of 6 Barred Rocks and 2 Americaunas. They turn 8 weeks old this week. I live in Texas and the weather is so weird here! I'm having trouble gauging if its ok to put them out in the coop yet. They have been in the house since they were 2 weeks old. I was going to put them out this weekend but I'm afraid because there are a couple of 35 degree nights coming up. Will they be ok now? How do you know if they are fully feathered? Thanks for your help!!!

2. The Golden Egg5

The Golden Egg5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    I think they would be fine. If you are really worried and if possible, on the colder nights you could set up a temporary heating lamp just for that night

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Just give them a huddle box. I'm assuming they have been off heat for at least the last 3 weeks. They should be fine. It's preferable to condition chicks to outdoor temps gradually. Here in Maine, my chicks are brooded outside with a heating pad cave brooder, they are outside (in the coop) from the age of 2 - 3 days old with low temps getting down into 20's and they do fine. They are completely off heat at 4 - 5 weeks.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  4. Heron's Nest Farm

Heron's Nest Farm Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Oregon
    If you have them off the heat lamp and you see their heads fully feathered, they should be good. Make sure they have a corner with lots of straw --draft free-- to huddle in. I've put them out when they were still getting feathers on their backs and they have faired just fine with their com-padres to cuddle with.

As long as you have them off the light. If not, take the light off in the house for the week and then move them.

5. stephanyk

stephanyk Just Hatched

Feb 6, 2017
    Hi guys,

Thank you...Yes they've been off heat for about 3 weeks now. The natives are getting restless and I'm anxious to get them out! I appreciate all your feedback and advise. Once their out, I'm sure Ill have some sleepless nights worrying about them outside with me :(

6. LadyVictorian

LadyVictorian Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2016
    Minnesota
    The lady I got my silkies from had her 8 week olds outside in the runs already and it was about an average of 15 to -20 outside at the time. By 8 weeks they should have all of their feathers and be fine.

7. stephanyk

stephanyk Just Hatched

Feb 6, 2017
    So, yesterday was moving day and my gosh that was exhausting! Got 8 pullets out to their new coop at last!!! Worried all night, got up and checked on them...they survived!!! It was so curt this morning when i opened their little door to let them out. They were all sleepy eyed and curious. It was rough getting them to go in though last night. Ended up being a bit of a challenge. Any advise for tonight's episode?

8. lutherpug

lutherpug Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Kansas City, MO
    We put our first chicks out in the coop last spring and what worked well for us was to light the coop before dusk. As the sun sets they will naturally go where the light is as they don't see that well in the dark. I would go down and turn it on about an hour before dusk and then go shut it off about an hour after darkness. I used one of those $10 clip on lamps that you see in dorm rooms. I ran it into the coop with an extension cord and clipped it to a board. You may have to still put them all in the coop for another day or two but the light will lessen the learning curve for them on where they need to be at night.

I'm doing the same thing now with my 11 week old pullets that I've introduced into the coop. It's a slightly different dynamic with this crew as they're still timid with my adult hens but they still want to be closer to the light as it gets dark.

Good luck!

9. stephanyk

stephanyk Just Hatched

Feb 6, 2017
    You are brilliant!!!! It worked! Night 3, we put a bright light just outside their coop and shined it in the window. It got dark and they walked in. Poor things......now their cooped up all day because of the weather. Thank you so much for your advise :)

10. lutherpug

lutherpug Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Kansas City, MO
    Awesome! Someone on here gave me that same advice last year and it worked like a charm. I continued to do it for a week or two and then weaned them off once they knew where to sleep :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by