1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

8 weeks too young to butcher Jersey Giant/ Wellsummer Roosters?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by domromer, Jun 10, 2008.

1. domromer

domromer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    I bought a bunch of fertile eggs locally. I was told the 80% would probably be males. I live in the Burbs so I can't have any roosters.
    My plan was to butcher them before they start to crow, which I gather is around 6-8 weeks. My conundrum is this. Will the roosters be way to small too small at 8 weeks old to butcher? Should I pass them on to another person who would either use them as a rooster or eat them when they are a better size? What are your thoughts?

2. inudat12

inudat12 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2008
    NorthCentral Ohio
    I can only speak for the JG. The first year is mostly bone growth, than they start to fill out and get meaty.

May want to try to rehome them.

Tracy

3. lovethechickens

lovethechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2008
    Antioch California
    Jersey giants are one of the slowest maturing chickens. Broilers are ready that quick, because they are bred to grow super quick! I dont know about wellsummers. Ship me the jersey giant and Ill keep him as a pet. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  4. Shaun Hagan

Shaun Hagan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    Northern NH
    My 6.5 week old Barred Rock Roo has less meat on him than a chicken McNugget. I've never raised JG or Wellsummers but I can't imagine they would be worth much till at least 15 weeks.

5. domromer

domromer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    Ok, Sounds like I just need to find a home for these little guys in a few weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by