8 wk old JG Unsteady on his feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tomhusker, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    I did a search on this and found one thread that wasn't very helpful so I thought I would try again.

My 8 week old JG cockerel is very unsteady on his feet, looking like he is drunk. He falls over, catching himself on his wing then goes about his way. His appetite is normal, he seems to be drinking fine. He does free range with the rest of the chickens and I saw him this morning chastise an older pullet by pecking her when she tried to bully him. All of his behaviors seem normal except his clumsy, drunken walk. Last night is when I first noticed this as he was not able to steady himself to hop up into the coop at closing time.

Any ideas or recommendations would be appreciated.

ETA: When I helped into the coop last night I did give him a once over and noticed no visible injuries that may explain his problem.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  2. Flannery Eau

Flannery Eau Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    St Louis
    I would guess it is Merek's disease - that is how it started with a few of my 8-9 week old pullets. You will know because it moves quickly - they always died within a week of showing balance/limping symptoms. At least it is quick, and if the others don't get sick the rest of the flock will be resistant. Hopefully I am wrong - but I have learned to worry (I've lost 2 to the virus).

3. Tomhusker

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    I guess after watching him that he is unsteady when standing still. While walking he seems to be fine. Once he stops he flaps his wings and squats down or leans over to the side to steady himself. He also eats "sitting" down.

4. takmNH

takmNH New Egg

Sep 8, 2010
    Hi,
    Your description sounds just like one of my chickens. I posted last week and didn't really get a response. I looked around at other posts that sounded similar and thought maybe it could be a vitamin deficiency. We bought some vitamins that we're adding to their water. Hopefully this will help. Maybe you could try that?

5. Tomhusker

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    Thanks, have you noticed any improvement or decline in the chick? I have read up on Marek's and it may be it, but the chick seems fine other than the wobble. I hope it isn't. I will have my wife stop and pick up some vitamin mix for the water on her way home from work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by